Santa Monica – 8.30am-4.30pm Sat 27 April 2019
Location – Santa Monica Public Library
601 Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica
Cost – $300
Early bird for payment before Friday 11 January 2019 – $280
View location map
Los Angeles – 27 April 2019 – One day course
Many individuals with mouth breathing, poor upper airway function and some types of sleep disordered breathing also have dysfunctional breathing. In these individuals breathing retraining may be necessary to achieve optimal outcomes from orofacial myofunctional therapy.
Integrative breathing therapyis based on the following principles:-
- Breathing has many functions beyond the primary functions of moving air, supplyingO2 and removingCO2
- Breathing has a two way interaction with multiple body systems
- Consequently dysfunctional breathing is multidimensional and has impacts on diverse aspects of health.
- The key dimensions of breathing are biochemical, biomechanical and psychophysiological
- Integrative breathing training addresses these key breathing dimensions
- Applied integrative breathing therapy is adapted for individualsthrough the use of validated measurement tools, individualized exercises and appropriate referral.
- Breathing retraining is a useful and sometimes essential aspect of integrative multidisciplinary health care.
- Understand optimal, functional and dysfunctional breathing.
- Defining and using the multidimensional model of dysfunctional breathing.
- Review of key evidence based breathing therapies and clinical applications.
- Upper airway- nasal, oral and pharyngeal contribution to breathing dysfunction
- The autonomic nervous system and the upper airway
- Functional aspects of common nasal dysfunctions
- Structural, functional and neurological consequences of mouth breathing
- Nasal rehabilitation strategies and protocols
- Understanding the links between breathing pattern and upper airway muscle function.
- Anatomical and physiological phenotypes in sleep disordered breathing
- Individualizing breathing retraining for sleep disordered breathing
- And more……